Some months ago my friend Zsófi suggested that I get a popsicle form from Ikea. She said, her little daughter loves it. I did so and indeed, it’s so much fun!! It was really worth the few euros’ investment.
Do you remember our ‘7 Day Smoothie Challenge’? Well, in order not to get bored with the green(ish) stuff, we also made some ice pops out of the smoothies.
Frozen Smoothie Pops
The one depicted above has three flavours:
- the red one is made of raspberry, blackberry and a little soy milk
- the orange one consists of seabuckthorn and carrot
- the yellow layer has banana, orange and peach (peeled)
Be creative, the summer is not over yet! :)
Follow us via Facebook or Twitter @vegsuitcase
Obviously we did not have only one type of smoothie during our one week challenge, it would have been too boring. I just found one more photo that I haven’t posted yet.
To round it up, I also feel obliged to give a short summary on our experience.
- Smoothies are yummie!! But if you don’t do it versatile, you will soon end up hating them. Making different colours helps a lot. We, for example, made only one of our daily smoothies green.
- The first few days were a bit hard. Headache and less energy, especially for Abel, as he is doing the hard work.
- A total outcome of these 7 days, however, were a lot of extra energy and better mood. Since then we go out almost every day to throw the disk or for other activities. Also during the smoothie-days we went often swimming.
- Making a smoothie takes 5-10 minutes. Making two a day adds up to 20. This means smoothies will save you a lot of time! You’d better be prepared with some extra activities. This is quite practical, but to tell you the truth, I was missing our daily cooking ceremony a lot!!! We were both glad when we got it back.
- $$ You can actually spare money with smoothies!! Although fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts are fairly expensive in Munich, we spent about 30€ on ingredients for both of us, which is somewhat less than what normally spend on food.
- 7 days is too much. Next time we will go with a shorter period. But preferably, we will have a smoothie a day on a long-term, to bomb our bodies with nutrients.
Ingredients (1.2 liter)
- 1 cup of blackberry
- 1.5 cup of blueberry
- 1/2 cup of raspberry
- 1 cup of sprouts
- 1/4 cup of lemon grass (for Ágó!)
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup of wallnuts
- 1/4 cup of oat flakes
- 1 cup of water
Did I tell you that you don’t even need a blender? We made all our smoothies with a hand-held mixer. And voilá!
We enjoy so much finding some seasonal fruits, even if imported, that we decided treat our bodies with some detoxication. This means for seven days we will only drink liquids: mineral water, herbal tees and, in order not to make it too hard, yummie smoothies! Meanwhile, we will try to keep a ballanced diet.
So for the next week: only visit the blog if you are into green/red/yellow stuff to drink. Every day we will post our favourite cleaning smoothie and some inspiration. Ready?
Day#1 – ACUATIC SMOOTHIE WITH MELON AND CUCUMBER
Ingredients (makes approximately 1 l):
- 2 cups of sweet red melon
- 1 cup of cucumber, pealed
- 2 peaches, pealed
- 1/2 apple (or 1 if it’s small)
- 5-6 strawberries
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of Alfafa sprouts
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
Preparation time: 7 minutes
Put it into the blender and mix. Here is the outcome: